Friday

88.9 Radio Milwaukee

I'm not a music intellect or elitist. Heck, I posted a song by Selena Gomez a few weeks ago and I was pumped when it came on in the car yesterday. (Yes, I sang along horribly with the window open as it was deliriously nice outside. And Jon was not there to ask me to stop.) 

I have also been known to listen to Ryan Seacrest's Top 40 on Sunday mornings. All good times.

But Milwaukee has a truly great music scene. Unknown and undiscovered bands, singers and rappers - where literally, there is great live music happening somewhere every single night. In fact, a friend told me about a music promoter here in Milwaukee (a friend of his) who said professionally it would be better to move to New York, but that the quality of music is so good here, he can't bring himself to go.

The only reason I know any of this is because someone told me about 88.9 FM, Radio Milwaukee. AKA, my favorite station. It is on in the car 99.9% of the time (except when I check for Selenas) and as their slogan goes, is "diverse music for a diverse city." Anyone and anything from Beach House to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings to the Magnetic Zeros, The Shins, Jamie Cullum, Bob Dylan, She & Him (Zooey Deschanel's group), Bebel Gilberto . . . you get the idea. Eclectic. I can just feel my ears getting smarter. They will probably now require fancier earrings to go along with their upgraded education.


Some delights? Every weekday at 5:00 PM is the Five O'Clock Shadow, where two different artist renditions of the same song are played back to back. Weeknights from 6 - 8 feature new music from around the world. You hear something you like but don't know it? Check the Daily Playlist online. And the best part of all? NO COMMERCIALS. It is a non-profit station dedicated to bringing good music, and completely reliant on the support of local businesses and listeners.

Want to check it out for yourself? (Warning: you may get addicted.) They stream live all day. Visit Radio Milwaukee at:


And tell 'em I sent ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment