Thursday

1stDibs

1stdibs.com is like couture eBay for serious antique and modern furniture, clothing and jewelry collectors and interior designers. Founded by Michael Bruno, a former realtor from San Francisco, the site allows only the very best dealers to list their items. In fact, there are 500 dealers allowed to post their wares - with a waiting list of 800 more. Each dealer must have a brick and mortar store location - in Paris, London, New York, the Hamptons, Palm Beach, or even Madison, Wisconsin. 

It is the best of the very best and to be honest, can be completely overwhelming. My friend Sara, who I've posted about before, recently began her own blog based on her inspirations for designing. Each week she lists her favorite new items from 1stdibs. This jumpstarted me to take a crack at it myself. Here goes . . . 

After my wedding, a nautical obsession began that continues unabated. Must be from having grown up in Rhode Island, the Ocean State. Loving these 1940s French Rope Table Lamps!
 
German designer Karl Springer's Crocodile Embossed Coffee Table (though if I had my dream item, I'd like one of his lacquered parchment pieces). The lines are gorgeous.
Line Vautrin Enameled Gilt Bronze "Porcupine" Bracelet from 1950's France
 
Black Ebonized Campagn Desk from 1940's England with Nickel-Plated Fittings and a Leather Insert with Embossed Greek Key Border

 
 

Mid-Century Italian Designer Gaetano Sciolari's Crystal Chandelier. 
Has to be used in a space with restraint, since it drips with glamour - maybe as a glittering surprise in a modern kitchen, or over a simple dining table, or even in a dressing room? It reminds me of a ring I've had for many years. I love it.


As a note, some dealers will sell 'to the trade' only (professionals in the industry - interior designers, architects; AKA - not moi, the adoring public). A simple call to an interior designer can hook you up if you find something you love . . .

See anything you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment