Saturday

DIY Pattern Curtains

Courtesy of Casasugar . . . 


Our Fifth House posted a very inexpensive way to switch up your curtains for the spring and summer seasons. Check it out!

I like to change the drapes in my family room with the seasons. I like something a bit heavier for the Fall and Winter, and then when Spring rolls around I like something a little lighter and brighter. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but I was definitely itching for a change.
I decided to make my own drapes using paint drop cloths and a stencil that I already had.  The drop cloths were $9.99 each at Lowes. I used stitch witchery to hem the sides, and then used an ikat stencil from here to create my own drapes. I also used a little stitch witchery to attach a ribbon to the edge to give them a nice finished look.


Textile Medium transforms acrylic craft paint into fabric paint.  Why is this important?!  Well, if you've ever bought actual fabric paint then you know it typically comes in very small bottles, and it's much more expensive than your regular old acrylic craft paint.  In addition, fabric paint typically doesn't offer a wide range of colors to choose from in most craft stores.  Regular acrylic craft paint comes in every imaginable color under the sun!  Textile Medium gives you more options at a better price!  The product itself runs between $4-$6 for an 8 oz. bottle.  

Once the stenciling was done and the paint was dry, I used the iron to heat set the paint.  Just iron the back side to set the paint and you're painted fabric will be completely washable.

For me, the drapes are too long and I would have placed the rod at the ceiling/above the clerestory window, but this is definitely an incredibly finished look for mere pennies! Especially for those of you in college or moving into your first apartment - an easy and inexpensive way to make a room look put-together (a patterned fabric alone will run you minimum $10 - $20/yard). Sizoon - get cracking!
Full post here!

No comments:

Post a Comment